Buyer FAQs

All of the units in our community are privately owned. Our staff does not get involved in the sale of the units, and anyone wishing to purchase must deal directly with the seller of the unit or a broker. This website contains information pertaining to the community, and most of your questions will be answered by browsing through the pages of the site. In addition to the FAQ section of the site where many questions are answered, the following represent the most frequent inquiries about ownership in Scottsdale Shadows.

The monthly maintenance fees include air conditioning, heat, water, garbage pickup and the use of the amenities. They do not include the cost for plug-ins (anything that you plug into a socket in your unit). In addition, you pay for the electricity consumed by the air handler (blowers) in each unit.  These are billed separately by APS. The electric bill you receive is relatively low because of what is included in the maintenance fees.

  • – A 9 hole (par 3) executive Golf Course- no tee times required
  • – 2 Tennis Courts
  • – 3 swimming pools; 1, 2 and 3 (Pool 3 is enclosed in a retractible building)
  • – Jacuzzis at pool 1 and 3
  • – Barbecues at all 3 pools
  • – Men’s and Woman’s workout rooms (each with sauna and showers) Non Co-Ed
  • – Art Room
  • – Ceramics room with kiln
  • – Wood Shop
  • – Library with computers (internet accessible) wireless network in immediate area of library
  • – Card Rooms
  • – Lounge with 62″ DLP TV and 100″ projection system (serves as a meeting room as well
  • – Navajo room with 2 pool tables, ping pong table, TV and sound system (serves as meeting room)
  • – Regularly scheduled and special activities
  • – Other amenities and programs

There are seven Associations (HOAs) in Scottsdale Shadows. Each Homeowners’ Association is a separate not-for-profit. Each has its own Board of Directors that governs that Association. The Board of Directors of each Association determines the monthly maintenance fee for that association. A portion of the monthly fee is then paid to RCI for maintenance and other services to the community. The maintenance fees for each unit represent that unit owner’s proportionate share of the Association budget for that year, based upon the owner’s percentage of ownership in that Association.

RCI (not the time share company) owns all of the common areas (tennis courts, golf course, pools, roadway, etc.) and acts as the management company to each of the Regimes. RCI is totally owned by the seven member associations. RCI has a budget that is paid for proportionately by the Associations in accordance with the Association’s percentage of ownership in the Community. 

When you consider what the maintenance fees include, the fees are not high.  There is no other community that offers the combination of amenities offered at Scottsdale Shadows. Even without these amenities, if you extract from the total monthly fee, the sums included for air conditioning, heat, water and garbage pickup you will find that the maintenance fees are quite low for a community of this nature and compare favorably with not only other HOA’s that offer very little but also with rentals in rental communities.

You will have to call your broker to determine if the Association is so qualified.

Every new owner must maintain on deposit, until that owner sells the Unit, an amount equivalent to 6 months current maintenance fees (the monthly fee at the time of purchase). This fee is returned when you sell your unit and represents an adjustment at closing, if all monthly fees are current. This Impound Fee is required by all Associations and may not be waived.

The answer is YES. There are RCI rules and regulations that govern the entire community and then there are specific Association Rules and Regulations. Each Association is governed by its own set of documents including Articles of Incorporation, CC&R’s, By-Laws, Rules and Regulations and amendments. You should become familiar with the content of these documents and refer to them regularly when you have questions. All documents appear on this website under this menu tab for each Association. 

No One is allowed into the community without proper authorization. See Move-Ins and Move-Outs below.

You may rent your unit; however, each Association has different rules and fees that apply to rentals. You must familiarize  yourself with the rules and fees that will apply to you.

Some Associations allow pets, others do not, and some allow pets under certain conditions. If you have any questions about pets, ask your broker to find out the answer from the Association  President or Administrator before you make a decision to purchase.

Every building has washers and dryers on the 2nd and 5th floors , except for 30 and 31, which has them on the basement level. Buildings 29-33 have washers and dryers in most units. Buildings 21-27 do not permit any further installation of washers and dryers. These   buildings are neither plumbed nor vented for washers and dryers. 

Buildings 22 and 23 (Association II) do not permit washers or dryers under any conditions. If they are in a Unit they will have to be removed.

The Association does not provide or pay for these services. Cable and internet access are available in each building but you must make your own arrangements with Cox or Dish Network (if you face south), for service activation and connection plus monthly fees. 

Storage facilities in the Association buildings are owned by the Associations and constitute Common Elements. They are assigned by the Association and do not get transferred with the sale of the property. Technically they revert back to the Association for re-assignment. Some Associations provide a storage unit with each residential unit; however, your broker should inquire about the unit you may be considering purchasing.

Call the Admin Office @ 480-994-2060 for building regulations.

NO. Neither the Association nor RCI carry insurance coverage on your Unit. Each Association carries insurance to cover the Association common elements, including the buildings. If you are an Owner, you are encouraged to carry Homeowner’s Insurance. If a Tenant, you should maintain a Tenant’s policy. If you want to see the coverage maintained by RCI and the Regimes, look under the menu item Association Pages.

You should carry appropriate insurance for several reasons. If there is damage to your Unit caused by the failure of an Association pipe, for example, then the Association would be responsible to repair the damage but not replace items of personal property. If, on the other hand, damage is caused to your Unit or property as a result of pipes, electrical or other conditions that exist within your own Unit, then you are responsible for damage to your Unit and property as well as damage that might be suffered by the Association or another Unit Owner. In addition, there is also the question of liability for injury to yourself, guests or others for which you could be held responsible. It is unwise not to maintain adequate insurance coverage. This coverage would be at your cost and expense.

When you close title, make certain that you obtain all of the necessary keys, not only to your Unit, but also to the building, garage, and your mailbox. We do not supply those keys. This is true for a Tenant as well. You must obtain the keys from your Landlord. We do not provide keys to anyone, except the Owner, even if a set is left at the gatehouse (we recommend this in case of an emergency).

We strongly urge you to view the various menu items on this website if your broker does not have an answer for you. Almost every question you may have will be answered somewhere on this website.


Scroll to Top